corpus-paul - Re: Purity Laws?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Purity Laws?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:10:29 +0100

Denis de Jarnette wrote:

>Personally I look at the council at jerusalem as basing their decision on
Lev 18 >and thereabouts, using the condemnations there as a framework for
what >James thought were basic commandments for all. Note that while James
did not >expect circumcision, he did expect Sabbath observance, i.e. "They
will hear the >law in the synagogues on the Sabbath"

Lev. 18 is about sexual prohibitions, which were certainly regarded as
applying to Gentiles and were included in the Noahide code. James therefore
included them in his list under the term 'fornication' (PORNEIA). But
James' list does not include Sabbath observance, and this is quite in
accordance with all extant Jewish lists of the Noahide laws, in which
Sabbath observance was regarded as obligatory only on Jews, as were the
other festivals. As for James's comment 'They will hear the law in the
synagogues on the Sabbath', this surely refers to Jews, not Gentiles. James
is saying, 'There is no need to fear any threat to Judaism arising from the
admission of Gentiles to our movement. The future of Judaism is assured,
for the Jewish people are loyal to the law of Moses, which they hear
repeated constantly in the synagogue.'

Hyam Maccoby
Dr.Hyam Maccoby
Research Professor