corpus-paul - Re: Realized eschatology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Realized eschatology
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 08:54:36 -0400

Bob, I do not agree that Rom 8:30 qualifies as realized eschatology, although
it may
be the kind of seed from which the realized eschatology of the later letters
arose.
As you note, the entire paragraph leading up to 8:30 repeatedly warns the
reader that
the Xn "hope" is future, not a present reality. And this is why I disagree
with your
conclusion that v. 30 is a case where "[Paul] then goes and gets totally
carried away
himself." It seems to me that if we read v. 30 as a contradiction of what he
repeatedly has just said, then we must be reading it wrong. I can think of
several
ways to read this comment that would not make it a contradiction -- e.g., the
"glorified" ones refers to previous faithful generations, or to Jesus and the
early
martyrs; or the "glorification" refers to the foretaste of resurrection which
comes
from the presence of the Spirit in the communities (but this is not an
individualistic
reality, nor is it the same as "resurrection," which must involve bodily
transformation). I am not wedded to any of these alternative readings, nor
do I think
they are the only possible readings. I just think there are more options for
how to
read this comment. SEMcGinn
begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.jcu.edu/bible/mcginn/
org:John Carroll University;Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 N. Park Blvd.;University Heights;OH;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor of Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard