corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: May 15, 2002

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: May 15, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:33:01 -0400

Zeba Crook wrote:
> David Inglis wrote:
>
> > I thought it was pretty much a 'given' that Romans was written before
> > Philemon and Philippians. Paul states "For God, whom I serve in my spirit
> > in the gospel of his Son, is my witness that I continuously remember you
> > and I always ask in my prayers, if perhaps now at last I may succeed in
> > visiting you in the will of God. For I long to see you, so that I may
> > impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you..." (Romans 1:9-11)
>
> I don't have time to go into all the reasons, but consulting a basic NT
> intro would
> give you the reasons for and against (Kuemmel esp. comes to mind). I'm
> surprised you
> thought it was a "given." In fact, it is far from it. The consensus is
> definitely
> that Romans is the last letter. I also think that Cassidy's Paul in Chains
> was
> irresponsible in the way it present the "evidence" for Phil and Phm post
> dating Romans
> as if it was so obvious and as if the evidence was so clear.

Then I guess I'm not alone in my views. I date Romans to 55-57, pretty
much as per Harrison: "Fixed dates for the span of Paul’s labors are few,
but one of them is the summer of A.D. 51, when Gallio arrived in Corinth
to serve as proconsul of Achaia. After this the apostle stayed in the city
“some time” (Acts 18:18). Possibly in the spring of 52 he went to Caesarea
and Jerusalem, stopping at Antioch on the way back and probably spending
the winter of 52 there. Presumably, his return to Ephesus was in the
spring of 53, marking the beginning of a three-year ministry there (Acts
20:31). At the end of 56 he spent three months in Corinth (Acts 20:3),
starting his final trip to Jerusalem in the spring of 57. When he wrote
Romans the fund of the Jerusalem church seems to have been finally
completed (Rom. 15:26ff.). This may indicate a date in early 57 rather
than late 56 for the writing of the letter. (The fund was incomplete when
Paul, on the way from Ephesus to Corinth, wrote 2 Cor. 8–9.)". E. F.
Harrison, Romans, in The Expositor’s Bible Commentary.

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA