corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: May 15, 2002

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: May 15, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:17:11 -0400

Reta Halteman Finger wrote:
> In regards to the interpretation of Romans 13:1-7, I have just found a
> relatively new book by Richard J. Cassidy, Paul in Chains: Roman
> Imprisonment and the Letters of Paul (Crossroad, 2001), where Cassidy
> proposes that Paul wrote Romans before Philemon and Philippians--in other
> words, before he was imprisoned. While in prison his views about the Roman
> government changed to being far less positive. I cannot say more, having
> just begun reading it, but it sounds provocative.

I thought it was pretty much a 'given' that Romans was written before
Philemon and Philippians. Paul states "For God, whom I serve in my spirit
in the gospel of his Son, is my witness that I continuously remember you
and I always ask in my prayers, if perhaps now at last I may succeed in
visiting you in the will of God. For I long to see you, so that I may
impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you..." (Romans 1:9-11)

To me it is clear that Paul had not been to Rome when he wrote these
words, so what is the evidence for Romans having been written after
Philemon and Philippians?

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor Drive