corpus-paul - Dignitas and Pauline social values

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Tim Harris <tim.harris AT stmatts.asn.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Dignitas and Pauline social values
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:53:23 +1030

Seeing things are somewhat quiet at present on C-P, let me throw out an issue I'm working through as part of my doctorate at present (Pauline notions of humility and deference in Graeco-Roman perspective).

I'm reviewing social values related to notions of status and public standing in Graeco-Roman contexts. Dignitas is undoubtedly one of the most fundamental qualities from a Roman perspective, drawing together genealogical pedigree, city/town, tribe and genus of origin, achievements in public and military life (esp. the cursus honorum), property and wealth, intelligence and rhetorical ability, pride, integrity and reputation. However, dignitas is by definition an elitist notion, and only truly applies to the smallest of minorities in Roman social order. Does it have a Hellenistic equivalent?

My contention (at present) is that dignitas, although a fundamental Roman value of social worth, is all but irrelevant to the wider Graeco-Roman world, especially outside Rome - and largely irrelevant to our interpretation of Paul. But am I missing something here?

I would be interested to know if anyone is aware of any studies which may touch on this. Was dignitas duplicated on a local scale in provincial contexts? Were clients drawn into their patrons dignitas by association, and were they called upon to defend or pay homage to the associated glory. Is there any connection with the concern to uphold the name of the Lord, or reputation (with all its honour and shame implications)?

I realise that this is a little tangential to Pauline studies. However, my interest is in the intersection of such a powerful Roman value with a Pauline value system.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim Harris