corpus-paul - Re: 1 Timothy 2:11-15

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Timothy 2:11-15
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:45:03 +0000

-------------------
> Ntsearcher AT aol.com wrote:
> Footnote: I have never heard a satsifying interpretation for v. 15.
'women
> > shall be saved through child-bearing.'

My simple-minded answer is this:
It means,
"let's stop leaning in an overly ascetic and eschatological
direction. Let's get back to normal life, to familiar
hierarchies, to predictable social roles, so we can cultivate
a public image demure enough so as to diminish the negative
attention we are getting from pagan culture."

Stephen Finlan
University of Durham