corpus-paul - 1 Timothy 2:11-15

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ntsearcher AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 1 Timothy 2:11-15
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 18:46:17 EST

Is anyone familiar with the interpretation given to this thorny passage (see
subject line) that is rooted in the notion that women who were influenced by
proto-gnostic ideas regarding Eve's introduction to the tree of "gnosis" is
what Paul was combatting there? Thus his treatment on women being silent and
not teaching was in effect a very localized prescription.

If any of you have spent time on this passage, I'd like to talk to you
off-line about it as well. Anything you can offer on-line will be of help as
well.

Footnote: I have never heard a satsifying interpretation for v. 15. 'women
shall be saved through child-bearing.'

Thanks a mill!
Frank Anthony