corpus-paul - Re: "we" and "you" in Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy LeJeune" <billyl AT wcs.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "we" and "you" in Galatians
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:09:24 -0500

Dear Mark,

Thanks for you comments. I wrote a disclaimer in an earlier post about
representing Wright. I don't pretend to be on that level; I'm an
elementary school teacher whose favorite read is NT studies.

Mark:
You should read Wright's chapter on this passage in Climax of the
Covenant
if you wish to represent his views. He thinks the "us" of of v. 13
refers to
all Jews, and the "we" of v. 14b to Christian Jews only. The gentiles he
thinks are covered in 14a.

Billy:
I'll read it again, but as you said, Wright sees two Israels. If one's
view is that there is a "New Israel," doesn't that imply that the other
Israel is still under curse? I've heard him say several times that the
point of all this (the whole history of redemption) is to create one
family (Jew + Gentile)for Abraham. I will read the Gal. bit again
though.

Mark:
I am baffled by this interpretation. Please explain how ever of these
passages compares enslavement of Jews to Law (confinement, I think,
would be
a better translation of Paul's language here) and pagans to paganism
(idolatry, I assume you to mean) in such a universal sense as you seem
indicate.

Billy:
Actually, I learned it from Wright, though not from this passage. From
his commentary on Colossians: "The master-stroke in Paul's argument is
thus that he warns ex-pagans against Judaism by portrying Judaism itself
as if it were just another pagan religion" PP24-25

If it is a common argument of Paul, then that might justify a more
universal sense.

Thanks again for your comments,
Billy