corpus-paul - Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:33:16 -0400

Fabrizio,

>>My starting point, however, is this: a document, before being used
in an historical reconstruction, must be critically evaluated, his
authenticity and reliability are not assumed until disproven. Do you
agree with me?<<

Yes I do. While standard operating procedure for historians in
general, it does not appear to be very prevalent within biblical
criticism. My comment was intended to express my opinion about
polarized approaches in general, specifically "absolute authenticity"
vs. "absolute inauthenticity."

>>The approach of the JHC is not superficial regarding 1Clement,
Ignatian Letters etc,<<

Still, I see these works being conveniently set aside as somehow
irrelevant. The easy way to do so is to consider the issue of their
authenticity "settled" by some previous authority. However, this is
not just a JHC tactic.

>>The JHC theory could offer the simpler and more coherent sketch (I
think)...<<

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. It won't hurt to work out the
implications to such an assumption (Pauline corpus originating with
Marcion). One problem I have with the JHC crowd is that they often
make some very interesting, and some absolutely correct, observations
about the shortcomings of modern biblical criticism as it relates to
the Pauline corpus, but I have not seen them really develop the idea
any farther than had the original Dutch Radicals. It seems they are
just restating the case, again and again, as if the failures of the
more traditional approaches to explain the anomalies within the
Pauline corpus (and church tradition about him) leave the Marcionite
alternative as the only remaining option. It is not.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA