corpus-paul - Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:42:15 -0700

Terrence Donaldson wrote:
>>Why was it that [Paul] wanted to see his Gentile converts as the
sperma of Abraham (Gal 3:29; Rom 4:16), while at the same time rejecting
the biblical definition of how Abraham's sperma are to be recognized
(i.e., by circumcision; LXX Gen 17:1-14)?<<

It seems to me that the gentiles are circumcised in Christ (Colossians 2:11)

Does the cross represent the identity marker for the uncircumcised?

Is Colossians considered Pauline? I.e. could it show the mind of Paul with
respect to this aspect of the blessing of Abraham for the gentiles? Paul has
clearly said in Romans that the surface identity is a sign of the covenant
of faith already having been achieved. He could then see that this is
accomplished in the death of Christ with the stripping off of all the flesh.
The "blood of this covenant also creates a new world" for anyone in Christ
(2 Cor 5:17). I have heard that this is a common phrase in Judaism (but
sorry I do not know where to find its origin).

It is not hard to imagine the conflict either inside or outside Judaism with
respect to this sign of covenant.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +