corpus-paul - Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rick Carr" <carr AT ti.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 06:54:07 -0400

Question for John Lupia,

John,

You stated that:

> Galatians 2,14 makes sense in light of Acts 10,11-16; 11,5-11. Since St.
> Peter was given the revelation to abandon Jewish dietary laws he ate
> according to Gentile customs thereby disregarding Mosaic code. St. Paul's
> criticism pointed out St. Peter's inconsistency in this regard by making
> awkward compromising concessions in order to win over the Jews. Romans 1,16
> points out the Gospel saves those who have faith, "to the Jew first and also
> to the Greek" a formula repeated in v. 2,9,10. Romans 2, 28-29 teaches that
> it is the circumcision of the heart that now takes precedence over the
> former excision of the foreskin (orlah).

I wonder, does Peter really take away from his vision experience the
message that he is to abandon Jewish dietary laws? It seems to me that
Peter himself, upon reflection, concluded that the message was, "God has
shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean." Acts 10:28.

Similarly can not Paul simply be saying that "hearty obedience" is what
God requires and not simply formalism? That David or Isaiah or others
decried the vanity of offerings without a "broken and contrite heart" does
not mean that they believed the system to be obsolete, does it?

Cordially,
Rick Carr
Dallas, Texas