corpus-paul - Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:04:18 -0500

on 7/25/01 4:38 PM, Karl P. Donfried at kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu wrote:

> In light of Qumran, specifically 4Q MMT, would members of our list
> continue to maintain that a beneficial way of understanding late Second
> Temple Judaism is via such categories as “covenantal nomism” and
> “boundary markers”? In light of Fitzmyer and others work on “deeds of
> the law” in the DSS, would many still agree with Jimmy Dunn’s assertion,
> in discussing this phrase in Galatians, that what “…Paul himself was
> protesting was not individual human effort, but the assumption that
> ethnic origin and identity is a factor in determining the grace of God
> and its expression” (Theol of Galatians, 1993, 143)?

Yes Karl,
I would, although I would qualify the case differently, and disagree with
Dunn about what is signified (so where does that leave me?) Anyway, I
certainly do not think the phrase for Paul has to do with "individual human
effort." Do you? If so, in what way do you think it means this for the
writer of 4QMMT or Paul?
Regards,
Mark
--