corpus-paul - Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Karl P. Donfried" <kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:38:33 -0400

Thanks. Allow me to sharpen the question.

In light of Qumran, specifically 4Q MMT, would members of our list
continue to maintain that a beneficial way of understanding late Second
Temple Judaism is via such categories as “covenantal nomism” and
“boundary markers”? In light of Fitzmyer and others work on “deeds of
the law” in the DSS, would many still agree with Jimmy Dunn’s assertion,
in discussing this phrase in Galatians, that what “…Paul himself was
protesting was not individual human effort, but the assumption that
ethnic origin and identity is a factor in determining the grace of God
and its expression” (Theol of Galatians, 1993, 143)?

Karl

Loren Rosson wrote:

> Karl Donfried asked:
>
> > Are there still
> > advocates for the "new" perspective?
>
> You mean besides the obvious advocates -- James Dunn,
> Krister Stendahl, John Gager, Philip Esler, Francis
> Watson, Tom Wright, Mark Nanos, Alan Segal, Ben
> Witherington? Or do you mean to ask if there are
> advocates for the "new perspective" currently residing
> on the C-P list?
>
> Loren Rosson III
> Nashua NH
> rossoiii AT yahoo.com