corpus-paul - Re: Pauline apostolic authority/power

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John M. Contabile II" <sonoclamoroso AT aol.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pauline apostolic authority/power
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:15:32 -0400

Fred Rich wrote:

"My hypothesis is that Paul uses the term apostle to justify his exercise
of, probably illegitimate, power and authority over early Christian
churches, in order to counter attacks coming from more established
'apostles' and evangelists."

and

"I intend to attempt to deconstruct some of Paul's arguments for his own
authority over various churches, as found in his letters, and seek to
analyse this rhetoric."

Wow, sounds like an uphill battle to me!

Before you look into the "New Perspective" and Postmodern opinions, I
would suggest a fair treatment of Paul's own views on the subject,
specifically 2 Corinthians 3 and the Thessalonian letters. These two sets
of texts, I believe, would need to be dealt with if you are to prove your
hypothesis.

Blessings,

John Contabile
Claremont, CA