corpus-paul - Pauline apostolic authority/power

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Pauline apostolic authority/power
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:17:50 EDT

I am hoping to begin research into the following area in October full time,
and having lurked for some time I wondered whether anyone on this list may
have suggestions about articles, or even books, that might be helpful for my
research. I am particularly interested in postmodern approaches to Pauline
power and authority, socio rhetorical (or more general socio-scientific)
approaches to Paul, and any New Perspective work done on Paul's apostleship.
What follows is actually an edited version of my proposal for the research.

Best wishes,
Fred Rich.

Pauline apostleship in (post)modern perspective

In the course of this work I intend to investigate St. Paul's claims to
apostleship, particularly with regards his authority, or power, over various
early churches. Initially I intend to research the concept from three
different perspectives. These are 1) New Perspective , 2) socio-scientific
approach , and 3) rhetorical criticism . As the work proceeds I would propose
to concentrate on one, or possibly two comparatively, having concluded which
is/are most fruitful.

My interest in this area has been partially sparked off by a questioning of
the legitimacy of the title 'apostle' as a special office within the church,
both originally, and today. By investigating this question I hope to
understand and analyse how Paul uses this concept to implement his authority
over first century churches, despite apparent opposition from other church
leaders of the day. I shall also investigate the relevance of this concept in
selected areas of today's church.

I feel that the New Perspective is very relevant to understanding Paul's
apostleship, as his authority does come partly through the law. Through
socio-scientific methodology I intend to investigate the kinds of structures
that existed in Paul's churches, that allowed him to operate as apostle over
them.

My third approach is rather more wide reaching and may also include other
postmodern methods of literary criticism. My aim in using this kind of
methodology is to try to make such questions as Paul's usage of power and
apostleship, relevant for today. I intend to critique his usage of power, and
authority, following on from the work already done in this area by Elizabeth
Castelli, in her book 'Imitating Paul'4) . I intend to then go on from this
to investigate how modern day 'apostolic' church leaders claim to have
authority over their churches.

With regards which texts I intend to study, I shall be concentrating,
initially, on Romans, 1 Corinthians and Galatians, partially because I
already have some experience of scholarship on two of the letters, and
partially because they seem the most relevant Pauline letters to investigate
when studying Paul's use of power and authority. I intend to consult both
major commentaries on these letters, and other important works on Paul,
and/or his theology. Further afield that that, I intend to utilise
socio-scientific methods that has been used on other biblical texts, and on
other ancient literature. Another source of information and help will be
articles and books of postmodern theory, both in general and with regards
biblical studies in particular. My approach is consciously cross-disciplinary
in order to find a wider picture of Paul and his texts.

I intend to begin by investigating methodology that I shall then employ on 1
Corinthians chapter 9 and Galatians chapter 2. This will then give me an idea
as to what results I can expect from the wider Pauline corpus, using these
same methods. My hypothesis is that Paul uses the term apostle to justify his
exercise of, probably illegitimate, power and authority over early Christian
churches, in order to counter attacks coming from more established 'apostles'
and evangelists. This is also paralleled by so called 'apostolic' church
leaders in some churches today.

1 I.e. How Paul's claims to apostleship, and usage of power over people could
be related to his Jewish identity, and understanding of the law as a
controlling element. In particular I would be concentrating on the work of
James Dunn, although I would consult others such as E. P. Sanders and N. T.
Wright amongst others.

2 Within this I would hope to investigate how Paul could be seen as a product
of his society, both Jewish and Hellenistic. In particular I would be
consulting the work of Bruce Malina and Jerome Neyrey, and using some of
their methodologies.

3 I intend to attempt to deconstruct some of Paul's arguments for his own
authority over various churches, as found in his letters, and seek to analyse
this rhetoric.

4 Castelli, Elizabeth A., Imitating Paul: A Discourse of Power (Louisville,
KY: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1991)