corpus-paul - Re: regarding Peter...

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Douglas Horst <dchorst AT mediaone.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: regarding Peter...
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:10:50 -0500

At 12:18 PM 6/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Ntsearcher AT aol.com wrote:

> I'm presently doing some study on why Peter would be writing to those in this
> area... again "Paul's turf" as it were.

You say you are doing some study -- but what sources are you consulting?

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
Elliott, John H., _A Home for the Homeless: A Sociological Exegesis of 1 Peter, Its Situation and Strategy_, Fortress, 1981, Was one of the earlier attempts to do a socio/rhetorical analysis on one of the general epistles. It was an eye opening read for me as I started my graduate career after about a decade of non-academic work.

He argues basically that the attribution of the epistle to Peter is to signify that its "authority" (perhaps too loaded a term) derived from the Roman Christian community rather than the more narrow Pauline communities. In any case you might find it a very interesting projection of the situation of a proposed audience to this epistle.

D. Horst
1820 Keeney
Evanston, IL 60202
email: dchorst AT mediaone.net