corpus-paul - liberation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen.Finlan" <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: liberation
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:32:18 +0100

> [Mark]
> >Where Paul's voice is liberating, it should
> >be trumpeted. Where it is not,
> >it should be criticized. But first it should be

While I would agree with this in 80% of actual cases
where this is the issue, I cannot go along with it as
an absolute rule of faith, so to speak.
I must dissent from making "liberation" the absolute
value that trumps all other values. We also need the
more conservative values (so to speak) like truth and love.

On God's level, there is no conflict between liberation
and love, between mercy and truth, but on the human
level there often are such conflicts, and we must learn
to balance these values and render to each of them
their due.

Stephen Finlan
University of Durham

  • liberation, Stephen.Finlan, 06/12/2001