corpus-paul - Re: political & feminist interp. of 1 Cor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: political & feminist interp. of 1 Cor
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:21:00 -0500

on 6/7/01 10:27 AM, Bob Tannehill at BTannehill AT mtso.edu wrote:

> I am completing an article on issues suggested by the differing
> interpretations of 1 Cor by Richard Horsley and Neil Elliott, on the hand,
> (a "political" interpretation), and Elisabeth Schuessler Fiorenza and Ann
> Wire, on the other hand (a "feminist" interpretation). My sources are
> articles by these four in the two volumes edited by Horsley (Paul and
> Empire; Paul and Politics), as well as Elliott's Liberating Paul, Schuessler
> Fiorenza's Rhetoric and Ethic, and Wire's The Corinthian Women Prophets. The
> two interpretations differ significantly in their evaluation of Paul. I am
> interested in any comments from members of the group about strengths and
> weaknesses of these two positions.

Dear Bob,
This could be a very interesting discussion. These are certainly important
voices in recent discussion of Paul.

Since I have not researched each of these essays with your specific question
in mind, may I begin with a question (or two)?

In what way do you find that these two interpretations (positions) evaluate
Paul so differently?

And what difference (weaknesses and strengths)--in your view--does that
difference make?

Regards,
Mark
--