corpus-paul - Re: political & feminist interp. of 1 Cor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob Tannehill <BTannehill AT mtso.edu>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: political & feminist interp. of 1 Cor
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:42:01 -0400

Mark, I will try to clarify in response to your questions.

In my article I am not trying to argue that one position is right and the
other wrong. I am trying to reflect on where we are, methodologically, as
indicated by this recent discussion.

Both the "political" and "feminist" positions (as represented by Horsley &
Elliott, and by Schuessler Fiorenza and Wire) arise from a liberationist
concern and these scholars probably support most of the same causes. (I do
not fault them because they are motivated by theological-ethical
concerns.)Despite their commone interests, they arrive at different
evaluations of Paul's work, partly because they reconstruct the situation in
Corinth differently and because they place Paul over against a different
background: the ideology of the Roman empire, in the one case, and movement
for emancipation of women in the early church, on the other. In the first
case, Paul appears as a liberator, in the second, as--to some exent--an
oppressor.

Pauline scholarship relies heavily on reconstruction of the situation in the
church that Paul is addressing. Yet I think Schuessler Fiorenza is correct
when she recognizes that hermeneutical imagination is involved in filling
the gaps and constructing connections among the evidence provided by ancient
texts. Frequently, therefore, it is possible to reconstruct the situation in
a number of ways. Yet our understanding of the force of Paul's words--their
purpose or likely effect in the situation--is dependent on this
reconstruction. This results in different readings of particular Pauline
passages, and a different evaluation of Paul.

In a broad sense, the two approaches may not be incompatible, but I think
they do conflict in detailed interpretation.

I think both reconstructions are possible, but neither can eliminate other
possibilities. This does not trouble me, for it illustrates how a seemingly
stable text takes on a different force as it relates to different
situations, as is still true today. Both approaches open up theological and
ethical issues that deserve consideration. The feminist challenge has been
with us for some time now and continues to pose sharp issues. The argument
of Horsley and Elliott that the emperor cult and its ideology were more
important than has been recognized, and that Paul's apocalyptic and efforts
to create an alternative society in the communities he founded are
inherently opposed to the empire, deserves attention also.
Robert Tannehill