corpus-paul - Re: The symbolism of '14 years'

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mesfin Atlaye" <mesfin AT idirect.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The symbolism of '14 years'
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:23:19 -0500

A quick methodological comment:

I hope I will not be shot if I suggest that we must separate between what
Luke tells us about Paul and what Paul speaks for himself, particularly when
we raise autobiographical questions. I am preaching to the converted when I
say the two reports are not quite the same and understandably so: the case
being it was necessary for Luke that Paul is closely associated with
Jerusalem, at all expense!, because the gap between Jewish Christianity that
was cantered in Jerusalem (represented in Antioch) and Gentile Christianity
that was advocated by Paul had to be somehow bridged and harmonized to
suggest a unified movement. It is also no news that in the antiquities
ancient writers design speeches and put them on the lips of their characters
in order to advance their own agenda. In that regard Luke is no exception.
For instance, the Lukan Paul is an orator who makes long speeches but never
a letter writer. If it weren't for his personal letters, we wouldn't know if
Paul ever wrote a single letter and, of course, many other things. For Paul,
on the other hand, his ministry and his personality had to be defended
wherever and whenever he felt threatened. Most of the time his emotion gets
the best of him and sometimes his rhetoric and exaggerations are mixed with
the data he provides for his readers. So, the reader has to do a lot of
discernment in dealing with both Acts and the Pauline epistles. "Barnabas
brought him to Antioch" or "3 missionary journeys" "etc." could be simply
Lukan.

Mesfin A.