corpus-paul - Re: The symbolism of '14 years'

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert A Bayer <robertbayer AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The symbolism of '14 years'
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:02:56 -0500

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:20:04 -0800 (PST) Loren Rosson
<rossoiii AT yahoo.com> writes:

> Just speculation at the top of my head. But I think
> Richard is on to something with the Jacob parallel. It
> helps condense that “14 year” period during which not
> much seems to have happened.

Not much happened? Paul went from being a Pharisee and persecutor of
Christians to preaching a Gospel so radical that was untraceable in the
Hebrew scriptures. ISTM when we consider all the issues Paul had to work
through in order to comprehend the revelation of Jesus Christ and make
sense of the Gospel, even as he dealt with doubts within and fightings
without, that the fourteen years he spent (largely in seclusion) must
have been a very busy time of thought, prayer, and contemplation.