corpus-paul - Re: Iconography of Paul with sword

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Iconography of Paul with sword
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:52:30 -0800

Harold H wrote:

> It may be hard to escape, but it seems invalid because of 2 Cor 10:4.
>
> The Church does not war according to the flesh, so can the Church coopt the
> state to war on her behalf according to the flesh? This reasoning could
> have undergirded the Inquisition, but it seems false to me. The state has
> its sphere, the Church its sphere, and Scripture for the Church does not
> suggest overlap for this age, as I read it. No, 2 Cor 10:4 indicates that
> the Church does not promote its interests by fleshly weapons.

Harold, sorry I wasn't clearer in my reference. I was not trying to make the
argument that there is warrant in NT texts for use of "fleshly weapons,"
whatever they may be. Only that for the unreflective faithful coming to the
cathedral in Salzburg there is a powerful iconography that is intended to
explain the social reality of a region in which church and state were led by
one man. Even St. Rupert holding his salt cellar contributes by reminding
the faithful of the source of wealth of the Prince Archbishop. Spiritual,
social, economic and political power are highlighted for the pilgrim as he
or she goes into the cathedral, the earthly city of God.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net