corpus-paul - Re: Iconography of Paul with sword

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Iconography of Paul with sword
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:17:41 -0600

Dear Jim,

You write:

>It is hard to escape the argument that the church can wield
>the power of the state in dealing with heterodoxy!

It may be hard to escape, but it seems invalid because of 2 Cor 10:4.

The Church does not war according to the flesh, so can the Church coopt the
state to war on her behalf according to the flesh? This reasoning could
have undergirded the Inquisition, but it seems false to me. The state has
its sphere, the Church its sphere, and Scripture for the Church does not
suggest overlap for this age, as I read it. No, 2 Cor 10:4 indicates that
the Church does not promote its interests by fleshly weapons.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard