corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "L. J. Swain" <larry.swain AT wmich.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 00:33:06 -0500

Dr. Head,
I wanted to respond and hopefully am not too late.

I was surprised not to see mention of the Cappadocian fathers in your list of
late
antique authors of importance.

Regarding Bede's career, a very good article was done in 1997 by Joseph Kelly
for the
Journal of Early Christianity that is probably the best SHORT coverage of
Bede's
career I know of. I can send full bib information when I'm in the office
later this
week. You also may want to add Peter Hunter Blair's _The World of Bede_ as a
good
introduction to Bede studies, I recommend the 1990 edition with its preface
by Michael
Lapidge. You also have listed in your bibliography Meyvaert's excellent
articles,
especially the one on Cassiodorus. You might have mentioned, or wish to in
the
future, the story of how Codex Amiatinus came to be and Bede's relationship
to it.
This isn't precisely Pauline, but is to my mind an important moment in
textual and
Biblical history. Bede's work on the Apostle is of course on the Apostle
Paul and
does draw heavily on Augustine, but it should be remembered that most of the
medieval
and early modern readers would have been more familiar with Bede's work than
with
Augustine's, at least until the fifteenth century, and I would bet even into
the
sixteenth. Finally on Bede, you might refer your students to Bede.net and
the
attempt to rebuild Wearmouth-Jarrow (www.bede.net). I have plently of
bibliography on
Bede if you are interested in the future.

I would quibble with your division of "Late Medieval" when you include Strabo
and the
Carolingians in that category.

It looked like a good lecture, I'm envious of your students.

Larry Swain
"Peter M. Head" wrote:

> On October 30th last year I initiated some interesting and helpful
> discussion with the following message:
> >I am planning a series of eight lectures on the history of the study of
> >Paul. I think I should probably select eight key figures (one for each
> >lecture) and would then plan to fit in one or two others around each main
> >figure. As far as I can tell there are probably five non-negotiables:
> >Luther, Baur, Schweitzer, Bultmann, Sanders.
> >
> >For the other three I am tempted to use Marcion, Augustine and Kasemann.
> >
> >I am wondering whether anyone might have some suggestions/alternatives.
> >
> >Peter
> >

> Well, I have now done seven out of the eight lectures and the handouts can
> be seen by going to the following location:
>
> http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/staff.htm
>
> admiring the scholarly photograph
>
> and then following the link under "Lecture Materials".
>
> I am sorry that it is not a very slick web site. It is my first attempt! At
> the moment it is only handouts rather than full lecture notes (and reading
> assignments). And I have not put in loads of pictures. But there is a fair
> bit of information presented which may be useful to others. The keen
> students seem to have enjoyed it!
>
> The handout from the eighth lecture should be uploaded after next Thursday
> (once I figure out how to present the contemporary situation in one go!).
>
> Please feel free to point out inadequacies and things I should have
> mentioned. Additional bibliography (real books) would be welcome. I have
> only a few links to other sites as well. If I have time and anyone notices
> I might be able to improve things at a later date.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> Dr. Peter M. Head
> Tyndale House
> 36 Selwyn Gardens
> Cambridge CB3 9BA
> Tel: 01223 566607
> Fax: 01223 566608
> email: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: larry.swain AT wmich.edu

  • Re: Paul's Interpreters, L. J. Swain, 03/05/2001