corpus-paul - Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple")

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple")
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:02:58 -0400

I'm quite surprised that noone has brought up 1 Cor 15:1-8 where Paul very explicitly mentions both the death and resurrection of Christ as what is quite properly called prepauline tradition.  In that sense it isn't pauline per se, but part of what certainly seems to be common Christian tradition that one can see all over the NT.

I agree with Sheila McGinn that Paul's favorite term for Jesus was CHRISTOS, but in light of Martin Hengel's famous article in Between Jesus and Paul am not so sure that Paul uses it to mean "Messiah" in every case.

Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados

  • Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple"), Frank W. Hughes, 01/08/2001