corpus-paul - Re: Saint Saul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy Evans" <bevans AT cinci.rr.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Saint Saul
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:14:51 -0500

Bob:

If you wish to discuss this with someone, one of the best on the subject may
be Dr. Ellis Rivkin. Rivkin is a retired professor of Hebrew Union College
at Cincinnati. He loves Paul and as a Jewish scholar of the second temple
period, Dr. Rivkin believes that the Jewish Saul-Paul was inspired. He has
most to the Pauline corpus memorized and being a rabbi specializing in
Jewish history during the biblical period (400bce to 400ce), he has read
what many NT scholars cannot read but with great difficulty. The HUC
office is 513-221-1875.

--William J Evans Jr
grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
Dissertation with UNISA
10251 Pendery Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
bevans AT cinci.rr.com

----------
>From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
>To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [corpus-paul] Saint Saul
>Date: Sat, Dec 30, 2000, 3:05 PM
>

> Akenson in his new book Saint Saul p 122 states 'in the search for the
> historical Jesus, almost nobody wants to deal with Saul. Although to a
> professional secular historian, the obvious course of action would be to
> start the Quest with Saul's letters, and to use this source (which is not
> only the earliest in the NT, but the only one whose author is known) as the
> meter stick against which to gauge other sources: not that Saul is always
> right, but he should be looked at first."
>
> Saint Saul was under my tree this year, and is a considerable help in
> removing the 'porcupine quills' (an Akenson metaphor for footnotes) and
> providing a little oil and wine for the wounds that I am experiencing in the
> first 200 pages of Excavating Q by Kloppenburg-Verbin.
>
> Is there any list discussing this question? The use of the Pauline Corpus -
> our only pre-70 written source - in the understanding of the late 2nd temple
> period and the historical Jesus?
>

> Bob
>
> mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
> + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
>
> Catch the foxes for us,
> the little foxes that make havoc of the vineyards,
> for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)
> http://members.home.net/bobmacdonald/homepage.htm
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: bevans AT cinci.rr.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

  • Saint Saul, Bob MacDonald, 12/30/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Saint Saul, Harold R. Holmyard III, 12/30/2000
    • Re: Saint Saul, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 12/30/2000
    • Re: Saint Saul, Billy Evans, 12/30/2000