corpus-paul - Saint Saul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Saint Saul
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:05:28 -0800

Akenson in his new book Saint Saul p 122 states 'in the search for the
historical Jesus, almost nobody wants to deal with Saul. Although to a
professional secular historian, the obvious course of action would be to
start the Quest with Saul's letters, and to use this source (which is not
only the earliest in the NT, but the only one whose author is known) as the
meter stick against which to gauge other sources: not that Saul is always
right, but he should be looked at first."

Saint Saul was under my tree this year, and is a considerable help in
removing the 'porcupine quills' (an Akenson metaphor for footnotes) and
providing a little oil and wine for the wounds that I am experiencing in the
first 200 pages of Excavating Q by Kloppenburg-Verbin.

Is there any list discussing this question? The use of the Pauline Corpus -
our only pre-70 written source - in the understanding of the late 2nd temple
period and the historical Jesus?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +