corpus-paul - LXX quotations in the NT

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: vanepps <vanepps AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-pauline <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: LXX quotations in the NT
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:44:00 -0800

Hello again,

Sorry I have not commented in return or further discussed my ideas of
Paul's use of the Psalms as a means to better define his understanding
of justification and righteousness or universal sin, but I have been
extremely busy and unable to devote any serious time to outside studies.
I was approached however the other day and was asked if I knew of any
books pertaining to the topic of OT quotations in the NT, dealing
specifically with how they are used (the idea of allusions as opposed to
an all out quotations and from where the quotations come, the MT or
LXX). I told the gentleman that I was unsure off the top of my head but
that I was willing to do a bit of research on the topic being that it
was of interest to myself and this area of study. I did a preliminary
search at the university but was unable to find anything that really
dealt with citations on a whole, offering any relative theories as to
how, why, where, and when the OT was used in the New, and more so to the
debate as to whether the MT or LXX is being cited. What I was able to
find was a book by Ellis, "Paul's use of the OT" and a book by Kaiser,
"The Use of the OT in the New." If anyone has any comments on either of
these books, or has any newer articles or better resources I could sure
use a hand to help save time. Please respond of list if this is
considered to be too off topic.

Thank you, and May God Bless,

--
Cameron P. VanEpps