corpus-paul - Re: Re : Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Re : Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 22:7:0

Dear Antonio,
many thanks for your comments. I am enjoying interacting with
Mark Nanos because he is saying things different from what I am
familiar to, and I am not satisfied with the known positions.

On 03/02/00, "Antonio Jerez <antonio.jerez AT privat.utfors.se>" wrote:
> Dear Moon,
>
> I agree 100 % with your reading on Paul's view about the Law in relation =
> both Jew and Gentile. The convenantal nomism that most "normal" Jews=20
> appear to have adhered to stated that trying to follow Torah and =
> repentance
> was enough for salvation for Jews. If Paul had really adhered to this =
> there
> would have been, in his view, no need whatsoever for Christ to die a =
> redemptive
> for the Jews - Christ would only have died for the redemption of the =
> Gentiles.

Mark thinks that Paul believes Christ died for the redemption of the Jews,
and this for the Gentiles as well as the Jews. But his interpretation of
"to redeem those under the Law (the Jews)" is not the same as the
typical interpretation. He takes it "to redeem them from the constraints
or barrier put by the Law toward the new age, to redeem them from the
stage
of being child to mature stage where they can be one with
Gentile-believers on equal footing, that is in Christ. I need to study
more
in order to evaluate this position. But I think it is worthy to consider.
Mark does not believe that it could mean "to redeem individuals from
their individual sins". The redemption that the Jews were waiting for
would have been the redemption of the covenant people as a whole.
The fact that they are now able to worship the one God together with
the Gentiles on equal footing could be an important aspect of this awaited
redemption. Anyway, I would like to know more about how Mark takes
"the redemption of the Jews through Christ", which he does not deny.

> That is why Paul first has to do away with the old Law in order to build =
> up a new Law,
> Christ's Law.

I noticed from your previous posts that you take "the law of the
Spirit of life" in Rom 8.1-5 as the Torah viewed from faith in
Christ. Is it what you refer to by "Christ's Law"?

Sincerely

Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Dept of Digital Media