corpus-paul - The treatment of "dying to the Law" in the Mystery of Romans by Nanos

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: The treatment of "dying to the Law" in the Mystery of Romans by Nanos
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:1:49

Dear Mark,

I read your Mystery of Romans one more time. In conjunction with numerous
discussions on the list, I seem to have grasped what you are trying to
say.

This time I would like ask a question about your treatment of
Gal 2:19. Through the Law I died to the Law, that I might live to God.

In p. 363, you said:
It should not interpreted as though this dying is a good thing. ..., as
though "through Christ I escaped the Law". ..Paul said that "
through the Law [which taught me to love God and my neighbor] I died to
the Law", that is, I was unable to fulfill the service of God and my
neighbor: "the good that I wish, I do not do" (Rom 7:19).

Here is the question. If you are right, the causal connection between
"dying to the Law" and "living to God" is not clear. How
can being unable to fulfill the service of God (dying to the Law)
lead Paul to live to God? Some kind of "liberation" from the
bad aspect of the Law would help Paul to live to God.

The expression "dying to the Law" also occurs in Rom 7:4, and
7:6, where some kind of liberation from the bad aspect of the Law
seems implied.

Did I misundertand you here?

Moon

Moon R. Jung