corpus-paul - Paul as apostate (was:Paul Not a Pharisee?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul as apostate (was:Paul Not a Pharisee?)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:00:06 +0200

Hi Mark,
the winter is fine, yes.

You asked for evidence from the "supposed" opponents of Paul
(concerning the apostacy of the Torah):
> Whether Paul had been or was still a Pharisee or not, of
this
> evidence from supposed "opponents of Paul" I am unaware.
Would you
> mind supplying some data?

Here comes:
1) Acts 21,20-21

2) Irenaeus, Against Haeresies 1,26:
2. Those who are called Ebionites agree that the world
was made by God; but their opinions with respect to the Lord
are similar to those of Cerinthus and Carpocrates. They use
the Gospel according to Matthew only, and repudiate the
Apostle Paul, maintaining that he was an apostate from the
law. As to the prophetical writings, they endeavour to
expound them in a somewhat singular manner: they practise
circumcision, persevere in the observance of those customs
which are enjoined by the law, and are so Judaic in their
style of life, that they even adore Jerusalem as if it were
the house of God.

3) Epiphanius, Panarion 30,17.8-9

4) Epiphanius, Panarion 30,25.1-4

5) Ps-Cl Homilies 17,19:
"If, then, our Jesus appeared to you in a vision, made
Himself known to you, and spoke to you, it was as one who is
enraged with an adversary; and this is the reason why it was
through visions and dreams, or through revelations that were
from without, that He spoke to you. But can any one be
rendered fit for instruction through apparitions? And if you
will say, 'It is possible,' then I ask, 'Why did our teacher
abide and discourse a whole year to those who were awake?'
And how are we to believe your word, when you tell us that
He appeared to you? And how did He appear to you, when you
entertain opinions contrary to His teaching? But if you were
seen and taught by Him, and became His apostle for a single
hour, proclaim His utterances, interpret His sayings, love
His apostles, contend not with me who companied with Him.
For in direct opposition to me, who am a firm rock, the
foundation of the Church,(1) you now stand. If you were not
opposed to me, you would not accuse me, and revile the truth
proclaimed by me, in order that I may not be believed when I
state what I myself have heard with my own ears from the
Lord, as if I were evidently a person that was condemned and
in bad repute.(2) But if you say that I am condemned, you
bring an accusation against God, who revealed the Christ to
me, and you inveigh against Him who pronounced me blessed on
account of the revelation. But if, indeed, you really wish
to work in the cause of truth, learn first of all from us
what we have learned from Him, and, becoming a disciple of
the truth, become a fellow-worker with us."

I apologize not having the possibility to offer you the
English text of Panarion. As far as I know it is not
available in the Net. Does anyone know? The last paragraph
does not explicitly prove that Paul was regarded as
apostate, although he is accused to have taught contrary to
His (Jesus') teaching. I guess you find it interesting also
otherwise. The writer is "Peter".

Of course none of the writers of these texts should be
considered to have been a contemporary of Paul. However,
they prove ( with more similar texts?) that Paul was
regarded as apostate at least in the second century. From
his own letters we know that
1) he had opponents
2) his opponents had a different view to the Torah
3) Paul's view to the Torah was such, that some groups could
regard him quite well as an apostate of the Torah, although
the exact word is not used in the letters.

With kind regards

Sakari

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
University of Helsinki