corpus-paul - Paul Not a Pharisee?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul Not a Pharisee?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:16:47 +0200

Robert,
> The evidence in 25.1.1999, certainly challenges the common
view, which until
> now I'd accepted without question, that Paul was a
Pharisee. However, it is
> equivocal, as Rene Salm observed, and thus hasn't
persuaded me to forsake
> the common view.
You don't have to. Paul could have been a Pharisee - in that
case he was a special kind of a Pharisee. The evidence does
not, however, prove that he was one. The problem is that we
have quite a little data about Pharisaism in the first
century.

> However, he was a Jew who believed that the Messiah had
come, had risen from
> the dead after being rejected and crucified, was the Son
of God, and was the
> source of salvation. Thus, Jesus Christ, rather than
Paul's Jewish heritage
> and the Law, became the center of his life and the thing
that drove him.

That is true.

all the best,

Sakari