corpus-paul - Re: Vs: Paul Not a Pharisee?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Hunter" <bob_leonora.hunter AT thezone.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <sakari.hakkinen AT evl.fi>
  • Subject: Re: Vs: Paul Not a Pharisee?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:50:35 -0330

Sakari,

> I am sorry. The list was not C-Paul, but X-talk. And the
> time was already one year ago. Poor me and my memory;).
> I briefly quote what I send to that list 25.1.1999 and
> 29.1.1999:

Thank you for quoting for me what you sent to X-talk list 25.1.1999 and
29.1.1999.

The evidence in 25.1.1999, certainly challenges the common view, which until
now I'd accepted without question, that Paul was a Pharisee. However, it is
equivocal, as Rene Salm observed, and thus hasn't persuaded me to forsake
the common view.

The more that I've studied Luke's account of Paul's ministry and Paul's
writings, the more convinced I've become that, as you put it in 29.1.1999,
"Paul's dramatical change did not alter his basic attitudes to Jewish
heritage, to Law..., to Roman government, to Gentiles etc. His conversion
did not dramatically change his personality either. He seems to be as
zealous after the conversion as before it." He was still a Jew and, at least
as far as zeal, still Saul.

However, he was a Jew who believed that the Messiah had come, had risen from
the dead after being rejected and crucified, was the Son of God, and was the
source of salvation. Thus, Jesus Christ, rather than Paul's Jewish heritage
and the Law, became the center of his life and the thing that drove him.

Thanks again and best wishes for 2000.

Bob

Robert Hunter, student
Baptist Christian University