corpus-paul - Re: 2Cor13 final verse

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2Cor13 final verse
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:43:59 -0400

Ray Fincher wrote:

> 1. Why did the NRSV translators go the route they did and revert to
> the NA27 (Greek) numeration? (Or perhaps I should be asking the converse:
> Why did all those other translators split the 12th verse in two, thereby
> creating a fourteen verse 13th chapter?)
>
> 2. The practical question lurking behind all this is: How do I cite
> the words, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the
> communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."? Should I call it
> 2Cor13.14, 2Cor13.13, or am I forced forever hereafter to have to cite the
> translation being used to avoid any confusion (as "2Cor13.13 [NRSV]",
> "2Cor13.14 [REB]", etc.)

Ray, sorry your questions fell on deaf ears. I have no clue what is the
answer to #1;
perhaps another lister was on the committee. As to #2, I would think this
depends
upon the context of your citation. For a parish bulletin, e.g., I would use
2 Cor
13.14 and explain if anyone asks. For a term paper or publication, you would
be
noting your translation, regardless of whether or not there was confusion in
the verse
numbering.

Cheers! SEM

--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.

begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;cell:216-318-1130
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;home:216-321-1003
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www1.jcu.edu/religion/mcginn/mcginn.htm
org:John Carroll University;Department of Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 North Park Boulevard;University Heights;Ohio;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor
x-mozilla-cpt:;-14320