corpus-paul - 2Cor13 final verse

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ray Fincher <rfincher AT pe.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 2Cor13 final verse
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:45:44 -0700

PauListers:

Apologies for the following resubmission of my posting of 6 August 1999. I don't know if it got lost in a server outage, or if it simply wasn't deemed to be of sufficient interest to warrant response. If the latter, perhaps someone will at least be good enough to tell me to stop wasting your valuable list time and space with my lay trivia.

===resubmitted query follows:===

... My reading of this list leads me to believe that someone hereon will be able to answer my question(s) regarding the last verse of the last chapter of Second Corinthians.

a. In my _Nestle-Aland Greek-English New Testament_ (27th edition) the Greek 2Cor13 ends with the 13th verse. The English side (RSV) ends with the 14th verse, the Greek 12th verse being split into two, numbered in the RSV as the 12th and 13th.

b. The KJV, REB, NASB, NIV, and NASB(U) all agree with the RSV in rendering 2Cor13 as having 14 verses.

c. In the NRSV, which I use most frequently nowadays, 2Cor13 verses 11-13 appear to my untrained eye to be a pretty close translation of the NA27 Greek verses 11-13, at least as regards versification.

After all that build-up, here are my two questions:

1. Why did the NRSV translators go the route they did and revert to the NA27 (Greek) numeration? (Or perhaps I should be asking the converse: Why did all those other translators split the 12th verse in two, thereby creating a fourteen verse 13th chapter?)

2. The practical question lurking behind all this is: How do I cite the words, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."? Should I call it 2Cor13.14, 2Cor13.13, or am I forced forever hereafter to have to cite the translation being used to avoid any confusion (as "2Cor13.13 [NRSV]", "2Cor13.14 [REB]", etc.)

In most other cases of alternative verse numberings, there are at least explanatory notes, especially in the NRSV, but I find no such help in any of my versions in this case.

Thanks for your diversion from serious matters to help a simple-mindedly quizzical layman.

Ray
+ + +
Ray Fincher
<rfincher AT pe.net>