corpus-paul - Re: Pre-existence of Christ

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pre-existence of Christ
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:12:51 -0500

Liz Fried wrote:

> Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>

> > Time prevents me from speaking about the validity of each of the
> > elements of your
> > chain of thought, many of which I would questionable. For
> > instance, it is by no means
> > clear that pre-existence of Jesus is assumed or taught in the
> > Christ hymn in
> > Philippians, or that GJohn says that **Jesus** was in the
> > beginning "with", let alone
> > equal to, or that he was God.
> >
> Dear Jeffrey,
> Please explain to me why you do not think the hymn in Phillippians
> implies that Jesus was pre-existent. And if it is not off-topic, I would
> like to hear your thoughts on John 1 as well.
> Thanks
> Liz

Not to be flippant, but I'd first like you to tell me why you or anyone
should assume
that the Christ hymn in Philllipains **does** make such an assumption.

As for GJohn, yes that **would** be, I fear, off topic. But just one hint,
what is
"with" God, and what is asserted as having the nature of God ("what the word
was God
was" to use C.H. Dodd's felicitous phrasing) is NOT the man Jesus, but the
Word.,
which from the point of view of the prologue of GJohn, only later comes to
"dwells
among us" in Jesus.

Yours,

Jeffrey