corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Paul and Plato

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Paul and Plato
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:02:50 -0500

"David C. Hindley" wrote:

> Liz, Mark and lurking listers,
>
> Perhaps at this point in the discussion we should turn to some of the
> traditional authorities regarding the possible relationship between middle
> Platonism and early Christianity?

[snip]

Though I am still firmly convinced that the primary matrix for Paul's thought
and
beliefs is Jewish apocalypticsm, perhaps, as we entertain where Paul's
apparent
Platonism comes from, we also entertain the suggestion that, if it *is*
there. its
point of origin is neither middle Platonism or Gnosticism, but, as Bruce W.
Winter and
others have begun to argue, Stoicism

For a review of a recent of Winter's book on this subject , _Philo and Paul
among the
Sophists_. Society for New Testament Studies 96. Cambridge: Cambridge
University
Press, 1997-- see online review that appeared in Bryn Mawr Classical Review
99.02.13.
This is available at:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/1999/1999-02-13.html

Yours,