corpus-paul - Dissertation Topic

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Daniel L Christiansen <dlc AT multnomah.edu>
  • To: C-Paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dissertation Topic
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:36:28 -0700

Fellow C-Ps . . .

After too many years of being too busy teaching, etc., even to think
of completing a doctoral degree, I am finally getting down to it. I
greatly wish that I had done it immediately after the MA, when I was
focussed, and not interested in everything under the sun. Now, the
trouble is, I am so "spread out" in what I have been teaching and
studying (Greek, Hebrew, OT, NT, modern languages, theology . . .), that
I can't seem to land on a topic :( I have recently narrowed it down to
Pauline-related studies. If anyone would care to respond to the topic
below, or with ideas of their own, I would appreciate it.
The latest topic I have been considering is as follows . . . "The
Referential Ranges of ANQRWPOS, ANHR, and GUNH in the (Traditional?)
Pauline Corpus: Limitations of Gender and Relationship." The idea
would be to examine all of the uses of both ANQRWPOS and of ANHR in
Paul, with a view toward determining whether they are interchangeable
terms, or whether Paul carefully segregates these nouns. My initial
research suggests that ANHR always refers to a husband, not a man in
general. If so, then there are serious implications for the manner in
which we translate and understand passages with the term GUNH.
In other words, if Paul limits the activities of GUNH in a given
passage, we need to see if that GUNH is paired with ANQRWPOS or with
ANHR. If with the former, the limitation is being applied to women by
means of gender; if with the latter, the limitation is based on a
specific relationship (marriage) and may not simply be applied outside
the family bounds. So far, there seems to be no difference in the
pattern of use from the critical Pauline corpus to the traditional
Pauline texts as a whole; however, my research into that specific
question is fairly light, right now.

Thanks,
--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible

  • Dissertation Topic, Daniel L Christiansen, 07/12/1999