corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dr Michael B Thompson" <mbt2 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:5:10

On 06/14/99, "Jonathan Ryder <jpr1001 AT cam.ac.uk>" wrote:
> I've noticed increasingly that whenever scholars encounter an
> 'infrequent' Pauline word or concept they are quick to detect an early
> Christian formula, often baptismal. This tendency ISTM is similar to the
> discarding of certain epistles as authentic Paul due to the presence of
> vocabulary, ideas and theology (all of which overlap of course) assumed
> as rare in Paul.
>
> Both exegetical steps are, I presume, built on the same (dubious?)
> methodological assumption that one can reconstruct Paul's theology and
> his (theological) vocabulary.
>
> While not wishing to (re)open the second can of worms, I would like to
> pose some questions re the first.
>
> First 2 brief examples:
>
> EXELHTAI in Gal 1:4 (Dunn Galatians?)
> AXIWS in 1 Thess 2:12 and elsewhere (Donfried: Kingdom of God in Paul in
> Willis ed, Kingdom of God in 20th Century Interpretation p182)
>
> Some Questions
>
> 1. Does anyone know who was the first to take this exegetical step (ie
> rare word = pre-Pauline formula)? References would be useful
>
> 2. Has anyone made a significant study of this phenomenon (ie early
> Christian tradns in Paul)? I'm particxularly interested in
> methodological discussion as well as the existence of an exhaustive
> list.
>
> 3. Has anyone done a serious (methodological) critique of this tendency?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jonathan Ryder
> Cambridge
> UK
>
> PS Hope this is the sort of enquiry that your friends might have wanted
> to see, Jeffrey. Hope also it provokes some discussion.

You might find something useful on method in evaluating quotations,
allusions (a much misused term), and echoes in my _Clothed With Christ. The
Example and Teaching of Jesus in Romans 12-15.13_ (Sheffield Academic
Press, 1991). Two of my aims were (1) to set out an appropriate method
based on previous studies and an understanding of the phenomenon of
'allusion' elsewhere, and (2) by studying the use of the example and
teachings of Jesus in the Apostolic Fathers and in the epistles of the NT,
to try to establish realistic expectations in the 'search' for the use of
Jesus tradition in Paul. The focus of the study was on Romans, but the
introductory material may prove useful.

Cheers,

Michael B. Thompson
Ridley Hall