corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:48:55 -0500

Jonathan Ryder wrote:

> I've noticed increasingly that whenever scholars encounter an
> 'infrequent' Pauline word or concept they are quick to detect an early
> Christian formula, often baptismal. This tendency ISTM is similar to the
> discarding of certain epistles as authentic Paul due to the presence of
> vocabulary, ideas and theology (all of which overlap of course) assumed
> as rare in Paul.

[snip]

> 2. Has anyone made a significant study of this phenomenon (ie early
> Christian tradns in Paul)? I'm particxularly interested in
> methodological discussion as well as the existence of an exhaustive
> list.

Jonathan,

Have you had a look at Archibald Hunter's _Paul and His Predecessors_?

It's rather old now (published in 1940) but still useful for what you're
after.

And though I haven't actually looked to see, there's probably something in
_Dictionary
of Paul and His Letters_ ed. R.P. Martin and others.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson