corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use of early Christian formula
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:38:30 -0500

Carlton Winbery wrote:

> Jeffry Gibson wrote;
> >Jonathan,
> >
> >Have you had a look at Archibald Hunter's _Paul and His Predecessors_?
> >
> >It's rather old now (published in 1940) but still useful for what you're
> >after.
> >
> Actually the book was written in 1930 but the publication was delayed by
> the war until 10 years later. In the back of the book each chapter is
> updated 10 years later to overcome this lag in time.
>
> He gives criteria other than vocabulary for isolating hymn fragments such
> as starting sentences with relative clauses, etc.

Not to make the list a chat room, but my edition of the book (from Nicholas &
Watson
Ltd., London) notes that what is contained within its covers are the Hastie
Lectures
for 1939, and t there is nothing at its end that looks anything like the
chapter
updates you refer to.

In any case, whenever it was written and/or updated, it is still something
that needs
to be looked at.

Yours,

Jeffrey