corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 22:40:55 -0300

Thanks very much for your prompt responses. I guess being a Pauline scholar
has
caused a certain lack of clarity in my own writing. Either that or too much
sun or
too much rum here in Barbados!

I'm not suggesting for a moment that I think that Paul wrote Hebrews. I
surely don't
think that. What I'm asking is what connections you colleagues see between
Hebrews
and Paulinism. I think there are clear and strong connections between the
authentic
Paul and the developments of that we see in Ephesians, 2 Thessalonians, the
Pastorals,
etc. What I don't see, or don't yet see, are any real theological
connections between
Hebrews and Paul or Paulinism.

I agree that there is quite a bit of affinity between Hebrews and Philo.
Viva C.
Spicq! And I think that further analysis of Hebrews vis-a-vis Qumran should
continue.

I don't think that 1 Clement's understanding of Hebrews as as Pauline letter
has any
particular significance for the historical critical interpretation of Hebrews
now.

All best,
Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College