corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 20:13:57 -0500

"Frank W. Hughes" wrote:

> Some of you know that I've been in the process of writing The Rhetoric
> of Paul: Letters, Persuasion, Community, which will be about all of
> the letters of the corpus paulinum except Hebrews. I find Hebrews
> absolutely fascinating. I find parts of its Greek style absolutely
> stunning. I definitely think the writer of Hebrews knew about
> rhetoric although I admit the dispositio (arrangement) of Hebrews
> eludes me. I do think that the end of Hebrews 12 certainly seems to
> be a marvelous peroratio.
>
> I hope to show in The Rhetoric of Paul how the rhetoric OF Paul in the
> authentic letters gives way to the rhetoric ABOUT Paul in the
> pseudopauline letters (yes, that's the terminology I'm using). What
> I'd like to ask in this thread is whether anybody finds anything in
> Hebrews Pauline. I haven't found any particular connections between
> Hebrews and Pauline Christianity but would like to hear if others do.

I think you will find clues to the beautiful Alexandrine Greek in
Philo. Since I believe the author of Hebrews was somehow associated
with the Philo school, I am still convinced it was Apollos.
Apparantly Apollos brought to the Pauline community his Alexandrine
education, his charismatic rhetoric (which captivated some of the
Corinthians) and an independence.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net