corpus-paul - RE: Gundry and a beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gundry and a beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:16:44 -0400

I disagree with this presentation of Judaism and I disagree that it is
Sanders' presentation of Palestinian Judaism. (Does Ed Sanders have an
e-mail address? we could ask him.) Pehaps tho it isn't relevant to a
discussion of Paul, and only Paul's understanding of Judaism is relevant.

I would like you to note, however, that Sanders spends a lot of time and
energy discussing the role, importance and efficacy of atonement in Judaism.
Do you think it is Sanders' view that you are "out" in the time between the
sin and the atonement for it? By no means. The availability of atonement
exists within the covenant and because of the covenant. The availability of
atonement exists for the Jew at all times. This is because even the sinning
sinful Jew is *in* the covenant.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies