corpus-paul - "Great Books" in Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: "Great Books" in Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

Before this thread dies completely, let me mention explicitly a book that
has been implicit in some postings but not named as such (unless I missed
it), namely,

Albert Schweitzer, The Mysticism of the Apostle Paul (first drafted around
1906, but not published until about 1930; ET 1931). Even apart from its
place in the modern history of Pauline studies, it is still a valuable
contribution to attempting to understand Paul.

Also -- my age is showing -- worth attention are:

W.D.Davies, Paul and Rabbinic Judaism (1948, 1980\4),

H.J.Schoeps, Paul: The Theology of the Apostle in the Light of Jewish
Religious History (1961; warts and all!)

Calvin Roetzel, The Letters of Paul (1975, 1991\3)

Elaine Pagels, The Gnostic Paul (1975)

and for lighter reading, perhaps,

Samuel Sandmel's The Genius of Paul

and Richard Rubenstein's My Brother Paul.

For a longish list see my web page under RelSt 436 Paul, Reviews, where
some student reviews of some of this literature may also be found. Student
reactions are often instructive as well as interesting.

Bob Kraft, UPenn