corpus-paul - Re: "Great Books" in Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: "Great Books" in Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:10:15

On 05/13/99, ""Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>" wrote:
> --------------68D2B6AB44B6FA13B1BD18D8
>
> I'm happy to report that the Johns Hopkins University Press has a new
> series called
> "The Albert Schweitzer Library" and that they have reprinted The Mysticism
> of Paul the
> Apostle ($18.95) and The Quest of the Historical Jesus ($18.95) as well as
> The
> Primeval Forest ($15.95) and Out of My Life and Thought ($15.95).
> Mysticism has an
> introduction by Jaroslav Pelikan. All books were published in 1998.
>
> Good reading!
>
> Frank W. Hughes
> Codrington College
> Barbados

Now, if only _Paul and His Interpreters_ was in print! (or -is- it?) I
thought I saw it as recommended reading in an online course syllabus linked
to the C-P home page.

Seems silly that _Mysticism_ is available, and the introduction by Jaroslav
Pelikan even comments that "his exposition here [in Mysticism] relies so
heavily upon the details of that history of the interpretation of the
apostle Paul [i.e., Paul and His Interpreters] that a reader who does not
know the earlier work will almost certainly miss at least some of the point
of the argumentation, to which Schweitzer alludes without direct
citation."

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, OH
dhindley AT compuserve.com