corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Getting in and Staying in.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jonathan Ryder <jpr1001 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Getting in and Staying in.
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:42:48 +0100

Liz Fried wrote:

> I assume that staying in isn't automatic. Once in, staying in isn't
> assured. The sinners listed at the end of Galatians are not "in" any more.
> Is that correct?
>
> Liz

Liz,

While I can't give you references, I believe it's common to see in Paul, as
throughout
the NT a tension between 'staying in' (aka 'perseverance') and 'losing
salvation/righteousness etc', similar to the classic tension between divine
sovereignity and human responsibility (ie qns over free will, election,
predestination
etc) with respect to 'getting in'.

Does your assumption above, if correct, mean that your previous assumption,
that 'Paul
thought that Christ's death brought atonement for everyone' would be
incorrect?

Jonathan Ryder

Cambridge
UK