corpus-paul - RE:Apocalyptic

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE:Apocalyptic
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:49:35 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim West [mailto:jwest AT Highland.Net]
> Sent: Friday, May 07, 1999 11:34 AM
> To: Corpus-paul
> Subject: Re: Pervasiveness of Apocalyptic Historicism among first
> century Jews?

I understand apocalyptic in this discussion to refer to the possession of a
secret knowledge. Is that correct?

> At 11:11 AM 5/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >How pervasive was an Apocalyptic understanding of history among Jews in
> >the first century?
>
> If one takes the Qumran sect, the Essenes, and the various apocalyptic
> writings then available- the answer is VERY! See Grabbe's "Judaism From
> Cyrus to Hadrian".
I understand we have the Essenes at Qumran and the various apocalyptic
writings. I don't see that we can generalize from these. Josephus did not
have an apocalypic view of the world. He seems more representative to me,
but it is impossible to know.

> >How pervasive was an Apocalyptic understanding of history among
> >Pharisees?
>
> The Pharisees were as apocalyptic as anyone.
We have no writings from the Pharisees.

Liz

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Jim West, ThD
> Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
> Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible
>
> fax- 978-231-5986
> email- jwest AT highland.net
> web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Lisbeth S. Fried