corpus-paul - Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • Subject: Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:44:03 -0400 (EDT)

On the pseudonymity issues and "Paul," I usually try to start the
discussion with 2 Thessalonians 2.2:

RSV "...not to be quickly shaken in mind or excited, either by spirit or
by word, or by letter purporting to be from us, to the effect ..."
KJV "...That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by
spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that ..."
NIV "...not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report
or letter supposed to have come from us, saying ..."
REB "...do not suddenly lose your heads, do not be alarmed by any
prophetic utterance, any pronouncement, or any letter purporting to come
from us, alleging ..."
Vulgate "... neue per epistulam tamquam per nos ..."
Greek "... MH/TE DI' E)PISTOLH=S W(S DI' H(MW=N ..."

The wording seems clear enough, although I'm sure that various
interpretations have been and will be offered. My take is that the author,
whether Paul or not, is aware of at least one "pseudonomous" production in
Paul's name -- or is producing one!

If time permits, now that classes are over, I may try to argue that a Paul
of the type responsible for the Pastorals also wrote "3 Corinthians" (for
a text, see my web page, Paul course, texts) -- in hopes that some
methodological consistency can be introduced into the discussion!

Bob
kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu