corpus-paul - Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:42:44 -0400

At 05:24 PM 4/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
[many useful comments snipped]

>But I would welcome other comments on this question.

I think what we might be overlooking here is one simple fact- the category
"pseudonymous" is totally anachronistic. It is a modern term used to
describe an ancient reality, or fact of life. To put it briefly, the
ancients would not have known the word or used it in any meaningful way.
For them, education as a whole consisted of learning to say what the
"teacher" would say in the same situation. it is not Socrates who speaks,
but Plato- in the name of Socrates. In fact, Socrates didn't write diddly-
but Socrates lived on in the many works of his student Plato.

Likewise, the disciples of Paul would not have, for a moment, had a qualm at
all about putting words into his mouth. Tacitus wrote speeches for his
personalities. Homer did it. They all did it. The problem with doing such
a thing is ours, not theirs.

Best,

Jim